Wednesday, November 11, 2009

It's been so long;

It's been SO long. Part of that is the start of the school year, another part is the trip to Ireland in mid-october and perhaps the most significant part is sheer laziness.
I've been taking a class on the campus Organic farm. & farm life has really transformed the rest of my life. Working and learning alongside such intelligent and motivated people has turned my intensity up Up UP!
Today in class we had Faith Hagenhofer give a guest lecture and train us on felting wool. Last week we learned how to use natural dyes and this week we felted the wool we dyed! As a class we felted two large tapestries and might have enough felt to turn them into slippers for everyone. Faith is a fiber farmer in nearby Lewis county and is a proponent of something she calls the Hundred Mile Sweater. It is her own spin (pardon the pun) on the local food movement. Her question is "why isn't there a local fiber movement?" & I completely agree. A good friend from class is going to teach me how to spin, which will add a whole new dimension to the process of making my own clothes. Thank you Faith, for giving us your time.

1 comment:

  1. oooh, I know of a supurb alpaca ranch not far from Solvang...they have excellent bats and rovings etc.

    felting = fun! :)

    ReplyDelete