Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Victory Gardens


Thinking about Spring (which will arrive, i hope) is making me itch to get out in the garden. Since I'm a beginner, I'm planning small and doing lots of research. I'm growing heirloom vegetables from Uprising Seeds, putting out rain barrels to water with over the summer, planning my winter crops, rotation and planting times, not to mention I've been building that compost heap for more than a year now. Before planting my first seed, I've been dedicated to this garden.
Going to alternative elementary school has had a big positive impact on my life. I recently found a little construction paper journal from 2nd grade that says, "gardening is my favorite center. i like to see cool bugs. i like to watch plants grow." & after a few years of meandering through literature, I'm right back there. I love the interesting bugs in my garden. I love watching plants grow. & now I've added to that list of what i love about gardening: touching dirt, eating what comes out of it, even thinking about seeds sends shivers up my spine (they're SO AMAZING).
I haven't felt such a stirring call for a long time.
& i think part of my life-dream that is shaping itself constantly (and voraciously) i owe to the fact that Obama got elected. I've never been excited about a politician before. When i read his speeches, and look at his initiatives I see a spark that is a roaring flame in my generation.
Almost everyone I meet, at school, or my brother's friend who started kids-vs.-global warming, is passionate about saving the earth. We weren't inspired by the "green initiatives" in the stimulus bill, but maybe people who aren't involved in helping to end global climate change, will be interested after reading them.
It is immensely satisfying to be close with the land where you live. To know it's smell, it's color, and it's fruits. & the people i have learned this from do not do it for any reason other than the stirring call of their heart.
BUT, a few generations ago, there were small gardeners who produced 40% of all the vegetables in the United States. & these Victory Gardens are a great inspiration for us now. When many people are out of a job and hungry, it makes sense to work directly for your food by gardening. Any excess veggies can be donated to your local food bank, to provide low-income people with fresh nutritious food.
I like to think of my garden as a Victory Garden for the earth. (I know it's cheesy. I can't help it, I'm an emotional person) Not only am i reducing my carbon footprint by eatings foods that are from my backyard instead of shipped halfway across the planet, but plants reduce the carbon dioxide in the air. Also, I'm supporting a whole healthy eco-system right in my own backyard. Also, I'm building muscle (weeding, anyone?) and regaining knowledge that many people have been forced to forget about, where our food comes from.
I'm really excited to plant my starts in the yard. Can you tell?

PS. Check this out!

No comments:

Post a Comment