Friday, April 3, 2009

Lunchbox Culture;


So, I bring a lunchbox to class. I like to pack my lunch. I don't want to pay mass amounts of money for small amounts of low quality food. I don't want to make extra trash. I like my tuna-fish and pesto sandwiches. I like my lunchbox. ect. ect. ect.
Well, on the first day of class (which is scheduled to start at 9:30) I walk in at 9:15, only to see that my entire class is already there. It was like the college equivalent of the coming to school naked dream. There was one seat open towards the middle of the class, so I fought my way there, trying to hide my obvious embarrassment. My precious lunchbox slapped against every chair I passed! Oh god!
And now, due no doubt to that embarrassing scene, everyone in class talks to me about my lunchbox. It's just a lunchbox. We're taking a class on food. I like good food. I dont want to eat on campus. I think it's ironic when we're talking about how corn is ruining american soil, to see people from my class rush out to munch down on corn chips and corn syrup soda. I pack a lunch. My boyfriend packed my lunch. I like my lunchbox. How many excuses do I have to give? It's not like I have a tattoo of my lunchbox on my forehead. Do I have to be like the kid in middle school with the backpack on wheels, forever remembered for my accessory?
My solution: a lunchbox culture. I've seen those awesome retro ones, with wonderwoman or i love lucy or the wizard of oz. Hell, there can even be lunchbox sub-cultures, to underwrite the lunchbox culture as a whole. But this way, at least I wont be the only kid with a lunchbox...

2 comments:

  1. You go girl! Lunch boxes are the bomb. If you want to know about my growing up just let me know, I'll start another journal just for you. LUV Nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still remember my first lunchbox: a cute little red number featuring Ernie & Bert. Lunchboxes are neat, no excuse necessary!
    -Jessica Selby

    ReplyDelete