Monday, February 16, 2009

My first dress;




It's the first beautiful day in weeks!!

So... i decided a couple of weeks ago, in the dark snowy cold, that i wanted to start making my own clothing. I thought it would be a good challenge, plus i'm always looking for ways to dress up, you know me.
& i found this pattern from 1946 on ebay, which is so flattering and fun. Then i went to Canvas Works, in downtown Olympia & picked out a very cute fabric that i'd been eyeing for a few weeks.
Being a novice sewer, i was really intimidated to sew a full garment, but i ended up having only a couple of snags (so to speak). No doubt the women in my family were acting as unconscious patron saints, guiding me through the project.






I started sewing on saturday and finished this morning! As you can see there are pleats, darts and gathers along the front of the dress, that give it shape.
I'm really happy with it! & excited to make my next project, which is a pair of knitted slippers for eric.
Thanks to Eric the babytron, for taking the pictures!

2 comments:

  1. You are fabulous!! Sewing is so much fun. Have you seen "Ravelry.com"? Big time knitting community and great free patterns....

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grandmother had this pattern! I think I still have it in my sewing stuff. Great job, love the print. We probably could pull together many old patterns if your interested. LUV Nana

    ReplyDelete